Friday, February 17, 2012

Homemade Deodorant

We ran out of deodorant and each time I went to the store I forgot to restock our shelves. I blame it on the pregnancy brain. After commenting several times on smelling "something funky" every time my husband walked into the room I decided to try and  make my own pronto. We have been using it for a couple weeks now and I am impressed it works so well! It was better than any store bought natural deodorant. I have to reapply Tom's several times a day during the summer and at least twice in the cooler months if I want to combat body odor. I feel fresh all day with this deodorant!

After looking up several ways to make deodorant, I created one using only what I had in my cupboards.



Ingredients:

  • Corn starch
  • Baking soda
  • Coconut oil
  • Essential oils (I used lavender for smell and its antimicrobial and antifungal properties, Oregano for its antibacterial properties)
  • An empty container to be filled with your new deodorant (preferably glass because essential oils can break down plastic)
Directions

  1. Combine equal parts corn starch and baking soda. I used 3/4 cup of each to fill up the jar.
  2. Add essential oils. I used 8 drops lavender and 4 drops of oregano.
  3. Add 4 tablespoons of coconut oil. My oil was already liquid and easy to mix with dry ingredients, but it will set to the consistency of deodorant after a day.
  4. Mix or mush all of the ingredients together to form a silky paste. 
  5. Place in container (if you didn't mix ingredients in it) and let it set for a day. * I actually used mine right away but after a day its the texture of deodorant from the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment