Monday, March 21, 2011

First Pet Medical Emergency

Today was one of those days I love where the rain drizzles all day and the heat has taken a break. The cold started to sweep through our warm house. I kept looking out and wished I had a good book to read and nice warm blanket to cuddle under. Instead I was trying to get some chores and cooking done since I have been sick for the past week.

While cooking I noticed that the plums needed to be eaten. Yes, plums with the poisonous pits you are not suppose to consume. It can cause cyanide poisoning and also get stuck in your intestines if swallowed whole. Well I offered them to everyone in the house including Raleigh. Raleigh was the only one to accept actually. Without our notice she left the plum in the reach of Meadow. Meadow, not one to say no to a treat, swallowed the plum whole.

I could hear Jacob in the next room yelling at Meadow to drop it. Being a dog, Meadow has selective hearing when it comes to food and chose to ignore him. I ran into the room to find the plum gone. Knowing that plum pits are not good for humans, I told Jacob to look up if they're poisonous to dogs. Sure enough the new wasn't good news.This is her first medical emergency!

Jacob ran to the store and bought some hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. We gave it to her twice and are still waiting for her to vomit. :( We both are very worried for her health. If she doesn't vomit soon then we'll have to give her a laxative. We are hoping we won't have to take her to the Vet, but we are prepared to go if needed.

On a side not if your animal has eaten something it shouldn't then call ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center - (888) 426-4435. If you are not sure what is poisonous or not check this slideshow on Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat. I was surprised to find avocados, onions, and dairy on the list!

2 comments:

  1. Good to know what i shouldn't be feeding the dog

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dogs got into a whole bag of chocolates once and we tried to induce vomiting too. They both survived luckily neither of them got sick and when we called the vet they really weren't as concerned as people make it out to be.

    ReplyDelete